In 1895 Baden-Powell had patented his "Levitor"- Kite. Marconi uses in 1901 one of these kites to make the first electronic wireless transmission. The shown kite is an early version. Baden-Powell used this kite to make in 1894 several "man lifting"- trials. In original the kite had a surface of 84 m² (11 m x 11 m).
I modified this kite to a small lightwind version. A detailed plan was published in Fang Den Wind no. 36 - 4.95.
Baden-Powell`s Man lifter
- The kite is bowed like a rok.
- The four bridle points (rokkaku bridle) are the crosspoints (reinforced ) of the spars.
- All four spars are made of 6 mm Carbon
- The spars are running partially in pockets.
- David Pelham: Drachen - S.42, S.176
- Clive Hart: Kites- an historical survvey - S.121, S.96ff
- Fang den Wind: Nr. 36, 4.95 - S. 196, S. 50